Plateau South Senatorial Zone is backward - Sen. Longjan



Sen Longjan
Plateau South Senatorial Zone is backward - Sen. Longjan

By Joseph A. Adudu
September 18, 2019

Plateau South Senatorial Zone has been described as the most backward amongst all the states in the North in terms of infrastructure and establishment Federal Government Institutions. This was the submission of the Distinguished Senator representing the Southern Zone Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Ignatius Datong Longjan in a chat with journalists in Jos today.

Sen. Longjan's election in the February 23 and March 9 general and re - run elections under the platform of the All Progressive Congress ( APC) was challenged at the tribunal by Barr. Peter Dandam of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). However, the justice IT Joy led panel sitting at High Court 4 Jos on Tuesday dismissed the petition for lacking in merit and upheld the election of Longjan. African Drum reports that Sen. Longjan stated that the degree of backwardness in the zone prompted him to contesting the Senatorial seat. "My ambition did not start early enough. Those of you who followed me closely know that I was a bit late. I must not also go into details for this because it's immaterial. All I can say is that I was a little bit reluctant but later, I was into the race. What really made me to come to conclusion that I should have a go is the realization of the fact that southern zone is backward. When I was the deputy governor, I went round all the local governments in Northern, Central and Southern Plateau and in the end, I realized that Southern Plateau is the least in terms infrastructure and Federal Institutions compare to all the states in the North. So, when there was a call by my political associates, I decided to come out essentially, to get the national cake for my people", said Longjan.

Some of the projects the Senator said he had itemized as priority and intended to lobby to ensure the attainment of these projects were achieved include the Lafia, Shendam,  Ibi road, Pambeguwa, Saminaka, Manchok Jos roads respectively. " Lafia, Shendam, Ibi road has been my concerned. I have been talking about this road since I was deputy governor and I had the road in mind when I contested the senate seat. The road was constructed by the Yakubu Gowon regime. Gen. T Y Danjuma made efforts to ensure the construction of a bridge across the Ibi river but probably because of the economic gains, (as some people make a living in fishing in the river), wouldn't allowed for a construction of a bridge across the river. The road itself is already affected by heavy trucks. So, I intend to raise this very important issue in the chamber and follow up with lobbying vigorously to ensure that it is captured in the budget", said Sen. Longjan. He added that Saminaka road that has also served as an easy link to Jos from Kaduna was in a sorrow state while the Manchok road that was constructed few years ago, was also in delipitated condition.

Longjan


The Senator further stated that Southern Senatorial Zone also lacks Federal Government Institutions compare to Northern and Central Zones Senatorial Districts. Consequently, he said that in the spirit of fairness, the proposed Federal Polytechnic should be established in Southern Zone. He said that the three Senators from Plateau state have agreed to sit and discuss on the location of the institution stressing that the Polytechnic should be located in the Southern Zone in the spirit of fairness and in the interest of one Plateau. The Senator however said that Governor Lalong has a big say on this and further advised against quarreling as the President reserved the prerogative of establishing the Polytechnic anywhere in the Country.


Share this:

Post a Comment

ForeMediaAd

 
Copyright © African Drum Online. Designed by OddThemes