A Jos based journalist alleges assault by Hon. Timothy Golu's thug in court.



Hon Timothy Golu
A Jos based journalist alleges assault by Hon. Timothy Golu's thug in court.

By Joseph A. Adudu
September 12, 2019

A reporter with National Star, a Jos based community newspaper has alleged assault by an aide to Hon. Timothy Golu, the former member who represented Pankshin, Kanke Kanam in the National Assembly from 2015 to 2019.
Hon. Golu who re-contested the same office in the February 2019 general election under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was roundly defeated by Hon. Yusuf Gagdi of the All Progressive Congress (APC).

 Not satisfied with the decision of the electoral umpire, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in returning the latter, the former approached the Election Petition Tribunal sitting at High Court 4, Jos seeking for redress. In it's judgment on Tuesday, the tribunal dismissed Golu's petition and affirmed the election of Hon. Gagdi.

 Speaking to African Drum after the incident, Sati Tanko said immediately the judgment was delivered, he decided to left the court room to ease himself at the convenience. As he made his way towards the court exit, he was accosted by one of Golu's aide. According to the Journalist, " When judgment was delivered and Yusuf BabayoGagdi was declared winner, I decided to go out of the court room to ease myself. Immediately, one of Timothy Golu's thugs by name, Obadiah, a former councilor, Somji Ward accosted me and requested to know why I was jubilating. I told him I was jubilating because justice was served. I hardly concluded my statement when he hit me on the chest. I wanted to react but my colleagues pleaded with me not to and I heeded to their advice and left." 
 
Sati Tanko, allegedly assaulted by Hon. Golu's aide
Tanko said that desperation was the only reason why Golu's supporters behaved violently after the verdict. " May be their principal told them that judgment will go their way at the tribunal but it turned the other way and I know how desperate their desperate their principal is. So, anything can happen. A child's behavior cannot be different from that of the father. So, he acted the script of his father" said Tanko.

He advised politicians to be tolerant in either victory or lose because according to him, politics is a game that produces only one winner stressing that if one is not lucky at a time, should exercise patience and try the next time.
African Drum contacted Golu for his response on the allegation but his response was " what kind of a question is this?".

Share this:

Post a Comment

ForeMediaAd

 
Copyright © African Drum Online. Designed by OddThemes